Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
The Design Systems Designer is responsible for maintaining and innovating upon Xero’s design system XUI (Xero User Interface). The XUI design system provides world-class tooling and support that empowers hundreds of people at Xero to create modern, accessible and responsive interfaces – quickly and consistently. You will help to push the interface design of Xero into the future and improve the lives of millions of customers.
What you’ll do
In this role you’ll collaborate with engineers, researchers, and other designers to provide elegant solutions that solve complex problems across multiple products. You’ll work closely with others in the design systems team, as well as champion systems-thinking across the company as a whole, playing a crucial role in advocacy and enablement.
- Apply a systems-mindset to identify opportunities to consolidate interface patterns used across multiple products
- Collaborate with people from across the company to design and implement excellent interface patterns that are elegant and easy to use
- Work with and alongside the engineers in your team to improve the design system
- Write articulate documentation that helps others at Xero best use XUI
- Create and maintain design tooling – e.g Figma Design Library
- Provide considered XUI support, training, guidance, and feedback to multiple teams
- Evolve and promote the XUI vision, library and processes across the company
- Stay up-to-date with the leading design innovations and assess usage at Xero
What you’ll bring with you
- At least 5 to 7 years experience working in Design Systems
- A firm grasp of accessibility, responsive design, web standards, common UI patterns and usability best practices
- A portfolio that demonstrates high-quality design outcomes and systems-thinking, contributing to user experience and business value
- A systems-mindset for creating patterns, componentry, documentation and tooling
- Expertise in the entire design process, from uncovering customer needs and pain points, to building elegant interfaces
- Experience working closely with developers and other designers
- An inclusive, collaborative approach that’s in line with Xero’s values and contributes to making Xero a great place to work
- A knack for creating beautiful interfaces with an attention to the details
In order to be considered for this role you will need to submit a both a cover letter and portfolio that demonstrates high-quality design outcomes and systems-thinking, contributing to user experience and business value. **Tip: Your cover letter and portfolio should demonstrate Work on a design system that is used by designers and developers(can provide portfolio, link to websites, etc).
- Work on a design system that is used by designers and developers(can provide portfolio, link to websites, etc)
- Ability to communicate the value of a design system to stakeholders
- Ability to understand and address challenges that come with a design system within an organisation
- Example of applied systematic thinking
- Stakeholder management and buy-in
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.