Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you'll make an impact:
You are a leader at the intersection of product and engineering management. You’ll maintain an environment in which your team can do their best work predictably and sustainably. You’ll make sure the team has all the information they need and the right feedback loops in place to discover and deliver valuable, usable, and buildable outcomes. You’ll help your team learn and improve, making local discoveries global. You’ll look after the health of your team and their products, aiming for resilience.
You will be managing engineers across a number of product delivery teams. You will be responsible for supporting your 12 direct reports in becoming awesome Xeros — empowering them to hone their engineering skills and grow as individuals. The mission is to build up our practice management software to help improve the experience for Accountants and Bookkeepers. You will work alongside other People, Product, and Engineering leaders to foster the growth of a world-class engineering culture in your wider Practice area.
NB: This is a 12 month Fixed-Term Parental cover position
Success looks like:
- Your team builds products that customers love and which achieve the intended business outcomes.
- Your team is highly engaged – everyone has a strong sense of purpose and feel they’re contributing to making a positive difference in the world.
- You and your team maintain a predictable and sustainable delivery pace, reflect on practices and delivery, and constantly try to make improvements.
- Your reports grow in their responsibilities, capabilities, and contribution to their team and wider in the organisation. All direct reports understand their personal career path and are encouraged to excel towards it.
- Your people are working effectively and efficiently with a continuous improvement mind-set.
- Your direct reports are effectively managed and supported. Their performance is reviewed regularly and feedback is continually provided in a timely manner.
- All engineers are supported, empowered, and challenged to do their best work. The right people are solving the right problems and their skills are continuously being developed through new learning and experimentation.
- Good performance is recognised and celebrated. Poor performance is managed promptly and effectively.
- People take ownership of their work and role in the team and manage their expectations as required to ensure the teams goals can be metAll engineers are motivated and engaged: Staff morale and staff retention is high.
What you'll bring with you:
- Excellent people leadership and management experience in high performing teams
- Understanding of modern software and product delivery practices
- Experience with agile practices and environments and an excellent grasp of modern software development practices and lifecycle
- Proven ability to navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way
- High EQ - you are self aware, self regulated, motivated and empathetic, with great interpersonal skills
- A growth mindset - you understand that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work
- The ability to hit the ground running
Aside from the typical perks you’d expect from a tech company (games rooms, free soft drinks, barista coffee, fresh fruit, sports teams and amazing offices), one of the best things about Xero is our people. You’ll join an inclusive, diverse product team with talented people from all over the globe. Our culture is one we’re immensely proud of - from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome.
Our work environment also encourages continuous improvement and career development, and you’ll even get Xero shares as part of your package.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.