Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Our Standards and Education team are looking for an experienced Senior Engineer with a focus on data and metrics to lead development & operation of Delivery Metrics collection and reporting across Xero.
What’s the team?
Standards & Education is a team focused on making world-class engineering at Xero easy. By identifying the standards that Xero engineers strive to uphold, and the education that enables them to do so, we seek to continually improve engineering practices in teams all across Xero.
What’s the role?
As a Senior Engineer in Standards & Education, you’ll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster. You’ll model the standard for engineering excellence at Xero, supporting Xero teams to grow their technical capability and improve development and quality practices.
You’ll lead the technical direction of Delivery Metrics products, providing collection and reporting of the accepted industry software delivery performance metrics to teams across Xero. You’ll contribute and collaborate with other members of Standards & Education to develop and deliver training and education on the use of metrics.
You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to simplify. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you'll do:
- Be involved in technical design of Delivery Metrics products to ensure implementation of architecture principles and good engineering practice.
- Identify the technical blockers and waste that slow down the team.
- Work with engineering leadership and delivery teams to identify technical capabilities that need to be grown.
- Maintain in-depth system knowledge across all system boundaries relating to the team’s components as well as hands-on development expertise.
What you'll bring with you:
- Significant practical expertise in developing and operating a modern tech stack; inc. web apps, APIs, etc.
- An understanding of software engineering delivery, and how quality engineering practices can enable this.
- Experience in working with CI/CD technologies to automate software delivery in the path to production.
- The ability to clearly communicate and advocate for engineering practices
- A willingness to get your hands dirty when needed, and a keenness for sharing your skills with the team.
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.