- Are you passionate about software and systems engineering, and improving the reliability of mission-critical services?
- Why us? You’ll love the ability to make an impact, join our innovation culture and help solve the biggest puzzles in the Australian financial services industry
- Together we’ll build tomorrow's bank, using world-leading engineering, technology & innovation
See yourself in our team
We’re expanding our Office of the CIO for Technology team to create a new SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) team that’ll be actively driving an engineering-led culture of resiliency across our organisation that will empower us as we build tomorrow's bank, today for our customers.
This new team will be a 'force multiplier', partnering with builder and operational teams across the Group to improve the reliability of critical services which our customers rely upon every day; contributing code to improve application and infrastructure resiliency, toiling away manual tasks to ease the operational burden of running these services, and re-engineering existing processes to incorporate modern reliability practices.
We’ll also own the adoption of SRE principles and practices across the Group, setting strategic direction, influencing the roadmaps of internal product and platform teams, and building and supporting developer tooling which will unlock and accelerate the scaled adoption of SRE principles and practices across the organisation.
What you’ll be doing
As a Principal Software Engineer in our CIO4Tech SRE team, you’ll be a technical leader, designing and implementing large scale solutions, as well as influencing and engaging the Organisation’s senior stakeholders on modern best practices for improving reliability throughout the SDLC.
- With a true passion for SRE, you’ll be critical to building and supporting our new team.
- As a Big Thinker, you’ll work closely with senior leaders on the strategic development of the SRE practice.
- Partner with product and engineering stakeholders to influence and educate our awesome builder and operational teams on SRE philosophy, principles, practices, and benefits
- Actively look for opportunities in the business where we can reduce friction and accelerate improvements by building developer tooling, frameworks or integrations which make it easier for our teams to adopt reliability practices.
- Be an ambassador for modern engineering and reliability practices, sharing information and supporting others in their learning, and building strong and energetic team cultures.
- Take great delight in designing, building, and delivering infrastructure, code, or services to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of our internal or customer-facing services
- You’ll enjoy every opportunity to perform deep dives into both systemic and latent reliability issues; partnering with software and systems engineers across the organization to produce and roll out fixes.
- Mentor other SREs, sharing your best practices and hard-earned learnings for tackling issues across the entire stack; hardware, software, application, and network.
What we’re looking for
- Extensive experience in a Principal- level role, partnering with senior stakeholders and leading a culture of data-driven reliability, monitoring and automation aligned to SRE principles.
- Strong background managing and scaling distributed systems in a public, private or hybrid cloud environment.
- Extensive operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment.
- Demonstrated passion for engaging with development teams throughout the SDLC to help develop software for reliability and scale.
- A proven ability to design, develop, and release code in one or more languages like Go, Python, .Net, or Java.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively across multiple business and technical teams.
We’re building a diverse and supportive team who enjoy working together and learning from each other, who embrace failure, and who believe in the importance of an enduring focus on engineering.
If this sounds like you – apply today!
If you're already part of the Commonwealth Bank Group (including Bankwest), you'll need to apply through Sidekick to submit a valid application. We’re keen to support you with the next step in your career.